Who We Are
Founded in 1999, and part of the Division of General Pediatrics at Boston Medical Center (BMC), The Breastfeeding Center is one of the most prominent breastfeeding research, teaching, and advocacy centers in the United States. Our areas of work include hospital policy change, obesity prevention, and American Indian/Alaska Native breastfeeding promotion and support.
Nationally, The Breastfeeding Center is supporting the growth and development of the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI), which promotes optimal maternity care for all women, and increases breastfeeding initiation, duration, and exclusivity. The Center works together with the clinical lactation team at BMC, Massachusetts’ first Baby-Friendly hospital, and with academic affiliates at the Boston University Schools of Medicine and Public Health.
- The W.K. Kellogg Foundation published an article about all IHS Birthing Hospitals becoming Baby-Friendly.
- The Breastfeeding Center was awarded a three-year, $2.125 million grant from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation for the CHAMPS (Communities and Hospitals Advancing Maternity Practices) program. View the press release!
- All 13 IHS obstetric facilities are now Baby-Friendly! View the press release!
- The Breastfeeding Center at Boston Medical Center has received a three-year grant from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation for its American Indian and Alaska Native Communities and Hospitals Advancing Maternity Practices (AI/AN CHAMPS) project!
Frequently Asked Questions:
How can I get a copy of your academic articles?
- You need to obtain these from the journals involved, as we do not own the copyrights.
How can I buy your DVDs or Childbirth Picture Books?
- To receive a copy of our catalog call us or email Rebecca at Rebecca.Snow@bmc.org.
Do you offer student internships at the Breastfeeding Center?
- Yes, we do, however we are currently full.
Do you provide lactation services?
- As a research and advocacy center we are NOT involved in clinical care. However, you can visit the Boston Medical Center Pediatrics clinical lactation team website to learn more.